Friday, May 11, 2007

Hello! We're in finals week here, so the last few weeks have been heavy on the desk, and now we're about to enter a hiatus. Here are some of the questions that have come across the Moffitt and Environmental Design desks in the last semester. (Again, I'm starting to post comments about how I answered the questions, but not all questions will have answers as I go through my backlog of past entries.)
  • I need books about basic design principles, especially interior design. In other words, I need a book to orient me to the important movements and ideas of the field.
  • I'm looking for information about the bridge between Bosnia and Herzegovina, known as the "Old Bridge," or "Stari Most," or sometimes "Mostarski Most." (Avery Index, Pathfinder limited to ENVI.)
  • I'm looking for psychological or biological research about how people respond to stressful situations without thinking--i.e., mechanisms that kick in before rational, conscious thought to govern how we act and make decisions. CHANGED TO: I'm not really interested in stressful situations, like emergencies or whatever--I'm looking more for research about how we make decisions without thinking, not necessarily in super-stressful situations. I.e., instinctive decision-making. CHANGED TO: I'm working on Edith Wharton's Age of Innocence, and I'm looking at a situation where a man allies himself with an individual or group that's not his family, and his family responds by shunning him. Wharton says they're doing it out of "tribal" instinct. That's what I'm trying to find research to support. (Long discussion about topic formation, scope, and what sources might be useful. Suggested anthropological approach rather than psychological/cultural. Analog in Amish/Mennonite shunning practices? Find literature about those and apply, if relevant, to the situation in the book.)
  • I'm looking for statistics about American women in the Red Cross (or in the Army, Air Force, or war effort more generally) during WWII. I also need to read around the subject a bit to find out what this period was like. (Subject encyclopedias of WWII in reference area, chronology of women's history, books in Melvyl.)
  • I'm looking for a dissertation done at UC Berkeley on the culture on US military bases in other countries. My GSI said it was done here, but didn't say when or by whom or what its title might be. (UCB dissertations in Digital Dissertations yielded a few things that were possible, but nothing sure. Nothing in Melvyl. Gave cites for possibles, told student to check further with GSI.)
  • I'm looking for books about South Berkeley. (Guidebooks, books of Berkeley landmark buildings.)
  • I'd like to scan some pages from a rare book. I have the call number and my own scanner; can I use it?
  • I'm looking for a particular thesis on the history of landscape design on the UC Berkeley campus. It's not on the shelf where it should be. Where is it?
  • I need to find a book that will help me write an annotated bibliography and literature review for a paper. (Referred to Harner's guide to annotated bibs in literature; no parallel guide to lit reviews showed up. Found online .edu guides to doing lit reviews, and handbooks for general research.)
  • I'm looking for books about front lawns and suburban houses. Particularly, I'm interested in the sociological side of this--property ownership, city vs. private owners, the notion of the suburban household, etc.
  • I'm interested in how city planning in South Central Los Angeles has changed following the 1992 riots.
  • I need information to support my thesis that the U.S. should not use other countries' human rights histories to develop its foreign policy, since the United Nations is a more objective organization better equipped to police human rights issues.
  • I need an issue of Croquis, and I don't know where to find it because it's a folio journal. Where are those?
  • Did I leave my course texts in the library's electronic classroom?
  • Where can I find these government documents call numbers?
  • How do I print?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home