Sunday, May 22, 2005

So far tonight (3 hours, Sunday evening):
  • Where can I find scholarly reviews of The Nazi Seizure of Power? How can I tell whether the journals I see listed as having reviews in BRI are scholarly or not?
  • Where can I find books about employment law? (Resolved into: my employer is refusing to let me work for a perceived competitor. I want to research the law surrounding this.)
  • Where can I find books about new technologies in Spain? (Resolved into a more in-depth brainstorming session about what this actually means. Steered student toward researching Spanish blogs, downloading technologies, etc.)
  • Do you have a copy of the White Bird Clinic's Help Guide? (Directory of human services for Eugene and Springfield.)
  • What's the best database to use if I want to find recent articles about welfare policy in the United States?
  • Do you have any books on chemistry in this library? I need something about polymers for a report I'm writing.

For the first time ever, I had someone come up and ask me whether we could give her something to clean her screen and keyboard with. I told her sorry, we don't. She asked how we clean the machines, then. ?? I guess the public computers are looking sort of grubby now that it's the end of the school year, but I was still sort of surprised that she seemed to take it for granted that we'd have a spritzer for her to sterilize the keyboard before she uses it.

Better Half brought home a spare bookcase from work on Friday, and we couldn't fit it into the apartment. We've used every available foot of wall space for bookcases already. Our place isn't big, but still, this amazes me. We have books piled up under the coffee table, by the bed, on most available surfaces. We need another bookcase. But we can't fit it in. The case is sitting forlornly on our porch, hoping for a home. It's so sad.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like your idea of posting questions like these on the net. You can't identify who the owner of the question is.. so I don't think why we should worry about breaking patrons' privacy? In this country we have this problem of `catch-22' - freedom of Info on one hand, and the protection of privacy on the other hand. We are protecting the privacy of the person by with holding their names and sharing only their questions for educational purpose. So I welcome this Blog idea. Librarians can learn and share their expertise, though I have not grasped how it works!

5:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home