Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Here's a selection of questions from the Moffitt and Environmental Design reference desks...
  • I'm looking for a volume of Architectural History from 2006.
  • I'm looking for statistics on graduate and undergraduate students by sex. Basically, I'm interested in research showing that more undergraduates are female, and more grad students are male. I.e., more female students don't continue on to grad school. Where could I find this? (Digest of Education Statistics, United States Statistical Abstract)
  • I'm looking for oral histories from people who were held in Japanese-American internment camps during WWII. (Bancroft, ROHO, Melvyl)
  • I need to know the name of the plaza in front of St. Peter's in Rome.
  • I need to find information about immigrant Iranian television and media in general in Los Angeles. I'm interested in finding out how the immigrant-created media here affect the situation in Iran, and I'm also interested in finding out more about the media in Iran itself. (Index Islamicus, Melvyl, Ethnic Newswatch, Lexis-Nexis Academic)
  • I need reviews of my professor's books, for his tenure case. I haven't been able to find them anywhere. (Google did a better job as a discovery tool than any database; it led back into JSTOR etc. despite problems in finding the reviews themselves in the native databases. Also some substantial online reviews that weren't indexed in databases.)
  • I'm looking for information about green design in K-12 schools.
  • I'm trying to figure out how to get call numbers into my Refworks bibliography. (Easiest way is to log in, use UC e-links to cut and paste or write call numbers down on a printed bib. I also mentioned Zotero, as an alternative tool.)
  • I need information about bicycling in the United States and in China, respectively.
  • I'm researching ancient monumental buildings and modern high-rises. Specifically, I'd like to argue that high-rise dwelling is now associated with poverty, whereas ancient monuments were associated with wealth.
  • I'm looking for an overview of what various Planning and Development offices (city, regional, etc.) do--how they're organized, what activities they take on, etc.
  • I'm looking for articles about the water gardens at Hadrian's Villa, and at the Alhambra.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home