Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Apologies for the long interruption in services. I've changed positions from Literature Librarian at the University of Oregon, to E-Learning Librarian at UC Berkeley. The shift is disorienting, exciting, definitely challenging, and every once in a while, sublime. Berkeley is an amazing and complicated place, with a very different library structure from the one I've been used to. I'm learning as I go, and the curve is, as they say, steep. But I'm already starting to get a better picture of where I'm headed and what I'm aiming for.

I'm not on the reference desk here yet, although I'll be starting in January. I'm not sure whether I'll continue to post reference questions in this blog--I'll need to check with my new supervisors to see how they feel about the idea. But for old time's sake, here are the remainder of the questions in my queue, from the reference desk at the University of Oregon. They were asked at different times throughout the fall quarter.

  • How can I find books or articles about Mexican indigenous peoples participating in revolutionary activities based on some religious motive? I'm interested in post-independence events in particular.
  • How can I find out whether we have these journals on bilingualism? If we don't, how can I find out what articles are published in them?
  • How can I find The Book of Knowledge by Maimonides?
  • How can I find out about US troop strength in the '60s and '70s? And also about military funding during this period?
  • How can I find some information about the World's Food Fair, or similar food fairs that were held in major US cities during the 1890s and early 1900s? (Surprisingly difficult!)
  • How can I find peer-reviewed articles about "the dark ages to modern times"?
  • Where can I find magazine pictures of Paris from the 1950s?
  • How do I cite footnotes and endnotes? I don't know which style I'm supposed to use.
  • Where can I find this RJ call number?
  • Where can I find primary sources having to do with women and advertising in WWII?
  • Where can I borrow a laptop?
  • Where can I find books about teaching English in different countries of the world?
  • Where can I find guides to funding sources for college?
  • Where can I find a copy of Emma Goldman's My disillusionment with Russia?
  • Where can I find a copy of the psychological measure I need to hand in with my dissertation?
  • Where can I find primary sources that show how indigenous peoples were represented in the popular media during the time of Lewis & Clark's explorations? (ca. 1803-1808.)
  • How can I get access to the online version of an article in Physica B from 2004?
  • Where is my class?
  • Where can I find a copy of the complete commentary of Oecumenius on the Apocalypse?
  • Did I leave my course texts in the library's electronic classroom?
  • How can I get online access to this article my professor said we had to read on Soviet culture?
  • Where can I find these government documents call numbers?
  • Where can I get a print copy of the August 22, 2005 New Yorker?
  • Where can I find online copies of these three psychology articles?
  • How do I print?
  • Where can I find new issues of Print magazine? How about Communication Arts?
  • Where is the section for books on pregnancy, babies, and prenatal care?
  • How do I photocopy the first page of this book?
  • Where can I find the phone numbers of offices on campus that schedule student leisure activities?
  • How can I look up words by the language they came from? I.e., my professor wants me to find a word that came from an African or Native American language--how can I do that?

I definitely plan to continue my habit of profiling key reference books in this blog--if it helps nobody else, at least it helps me to stay familiar with the print collection. But Better Half and I will be away over the holidays, so that won't start up again until the new year.

Happy holidays and best wishes for a peaceful, plentiful 2006.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home